Pages

Monday, 1 November 2010

::: Vegetarian VS Meat Eater :::


Yup you guessed it. I'm the vegetarian and Steve is the meat eater.

I have been a vegetarian since birth. My Mum is vegetarian as is my brother and sisters. My Dad – not so much.

We were the only people in my entire little world that didn't eat meat. People found it strange and weird, we were called 'hippies'.

I was brought up reciting 'Meat is Murder' and 'Fish are Friends, not Food!' Meat was something horrible and not to be touched, smelled or eaten. My Dad only ever ate meat when he was in a restaurant – as he still does to this day – no meat is to be brought into the house.

I didn't necessarily liked being different from everyone else when I was growing up. I wanted to blend in, yet I didn't like the idea of meat in the slightest.

Steve was brought up as a meat eater, his family are meat eaters and (excluding me and my family) he doesn't know anyone who isn't a meat eater.

It is hard either preparing a vegetarian meal we both like or making two dishes the same – one with meat and one without or maybe even having two separate meals altogether.

But we have learnt to co-exist and are doing pretty well. I still won't touch meat, I barely even buy it unless I really, really have to. Steve is pretty good at going to the butchers and buying his own meat and preparing it away from my food and using separate utensils etc.

One day I might convince him to become a full-fledged vegetarian...

No comments:

Post a Comment