Pages

Thursday, 4 February 2010

::: Reduce, Reuse, Recycle :::

When I was little there was no mention of Global Warming or Climate Change. We had more snow than I had ever seen; the summers were a whole lot hotter too.

I was brought up a Vegetarian from birth. To this day I stick to this diet but probably more out of habit and routine than anything else. My father was the only one out of six (2 parents, 4 children) of us that ate any meat. We wore funky clothes, had a log fire for heat and grew our own vegetables. We had cats and fish and rabbits. We would collect butterflies and frogs then set them free once we had learnt all we could and drawn a billion pictures of them.

Is it just me or have we all gone back in time?

My parents used to get called ‘Hippies’. Now they are known as the people who have been right all along.

Everywhere you look, advertisements are telling us to recycle and reduce our carbon footprint. People are attaching windmills to their houses, solar panels to their roofs and installation in their lofts.

Little steps can make a difference. Here are a few things which we try to do as often as possible:

Recycle paper, plastic, glass and cardboard.
Turn off lights when leaving a room.
Drink tap water, not bottled.
Have the heating on a timer and not on all the time.
Sell or giveaway our unwanted items/clothes. (Ebay, Gumtree and Freecycle and great for this)
Buy local and organic when possible (we even have friends who own chickens, best eggs ever!)
Use old clothes for dusters.
Turn off television/computer/washing machine plugs when not in use.
Use reusable cloths for cleaning rather than kitchen towels which you would normally throw away.
Buy items with little or no packaging.

In the future we’re hoping to do lots more. I’m totally against plastic toys and disposable nappies, I absolutely love our log fire and I can’t wait to grow more of our own vegetables this spring.

What do you do to help the environment?

No comments:

Post a Comment